Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LOG 1 (2)

In "The design of Everyday Things" I learned a lot about what an interface is, and how poorly interfaces can be made. After reading the chapter I started to notice many poorly mad interfaces. For example I went to the banks atm, a different bank then the one I usually go to, and made my transaction. Everything went fine until i tried to leave. There was a metal door plate on the left side of the door, an affordance? so i pushed it, and nothing happened. Just like in the book, when the man got stuck in the glass doors, i was trapped. After a while, I stepped back and saw a button at hip height with a sign under it saying push button to open door. I also realized that a lot of the time the simpler the interface the better. For example, in "The Design Of Everyday Things"the older telephones had less complaints then the knew fancy telephones because they were simpler. I also got a better understanding of affordances. I think its an objects possible uses, and the easier it is to understand the affordance the better. It should also be some what self explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment